Monday, November 20, 2006

Demonstration 3: Meaning Enhances Recall Experiment

In this activity, two different sets of words were paired with either A or B and we were asked to count the number of syllables of the words paired with A and decide whether the word is pleasant or unpleasant.
When we decide whether the words are pleasant or unpleasant we are giving meaning to each word. When counting syllables does not have any link to hook on to our memory.
It was quite obvious that we should remember words that we had to give meaning to it. However, I remembered equal numer of A and B words. Although I did not give any meaning to the words I had to count the syllables, I drew an imaginary line in between syllables so that it will be easier to count the words and that imaginary lines had, perhaps, encoded into my memory as visual input because i remembered some words because I remembered where I drew the imaginary line for the word.

The result of the demonstration was quite interesting. Before we collect the results, we all thought the results will form a bell-shape, but it actually turned out to form bimodal shape. This and James got full score. This clearly shows that memory is also influenced by individual abilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home